What’s more important than ensuring that our primary source of survival is of good quality? Food is required for daily sustenance; therefore, it is essential for consumers to know that it’s been developed or prepared per specific guidelines. ISO certification for the food industry helps businesses achieve this.
Further, owing to the significance of the food industry and its high demand, it is always under serious scrutiny. It then becomes imperative that everyone, who is a part of this industry, effectively manages food safety and ensures that hazards are minimized.
To help you understand ISO certification for the food industry better, in this article, we’ll cover the following:
Table of Contents
Why is ISO Certification for Food Industry Essential?
The food industry refers to the vast expanse of food product-related businesses that supply them to consumers worldwide. As it is one of the major industries responsible for developing a country’s economy, you can only imagine the level at which it is expected to operate at.
The food industry must deliver quality products consistently because nothing else will do. ISO standards are pivotal in ensuring this since they’re universally recognized guidelines for providing quality assurance.
Therefore, if a business has the ISO trademark, consumers can rest assured that they are getting food that has passed the necessary quality and safety checks.
Further, the food industry requires ISO certifications for different manufacturing stages to maintain consistency without compromising quality.
ISO 22000 – Food Safety Management System
To ensure the safety of everyone working in the food business, ISO 22000 was introduced. It offers a framework for measuring and evaluating the performance of the food safety system, taking into account every link in the supply chain.
Your capacity to adhere to hygienic requirements, HACCP food safety procedures, and a reliable Food Safety Management System are all validated by ISO 22000.
How is ISO 22000 Essential for the Food Industry?
The whole purpose of food safety systems, such as ISO 22000, is to provide businesses with policies and procedures to properly examine and analyze the risks and hazards related to food safety.
Due to its global recognition and foundation in the ongoing improvement strategy found in Annex SL, ISO 22000 is the industry standard for certification in the food sector.
The are numerous advantages of having an ISO 22000 certification. They vary depending on what area of the food industry you work in. Some general benefits of ISO 22000 are:
- It allows you to see a thorough, organized, and proactive approach to detecting food safety risks and implementing effective control measures that yield better results.
- It helps businesses follow the Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Points (HACCP) guidelines more easily.
- Aids in a continent-by-continent adherence to the latest food safety regulations.
- It helps meticulously and methodically document the different approaches, methods, and procedures.
- Improves efficiency, resourcefulness, and traceability throughout the food chain.
- It lets you engage in global large-scale food chains and assists in breaking into new international markets.
- Ensures the security of your supply chain to satisfy the rising food demand.
Other Common ISO Certifications for Food Industry
To upkeep and maintain quality food products, here are some other ISO certifications that can help your business improve your market presence:
The international standard ISO 9001 offers a framework for effectively executing Quality Management Systems (QMS) in a company. Therefore, ISO 9001 assures that the quality of your goods or services fulfills client expectations, which will be extremely helpful for expanding your business.
By providing the basis for constructing Environmental Management Systems, the globally renowned ISO 14001 standard aids you in strengthening your relationship with the environment (EMS). Further, this standard assists you in resource management and waste reduction, making your operations more environmentally friendly.
The international standard ISO 45001 helps you execute your organization’s occupational health and safety management system (OHSMS). This protects both your personnel and your visitors from potential workplace injuries.
Stands for Hazard Analysis Critical Control Points. It is a method that helps you reduce the risk of foodborne illnesses by laying the groundwork for monitoring the whole food network, from production to use or consumption. In essence, the system is designed to find and address all potential hazards or issues before they arise.
Advantages of ISO Certification for the Food Industry
ISO certifications play a critical role in boosting the business of the food industry since it helps in not just improve efficiency but also helps in improving the overall customer experience. Moreover, getting ISO certified will also help you enhance your business rankings in the global food chain.
The benefits of ISO certification for the food industry have been listed below:
- With the help of an ISO certification, an organization can maintain environmental, health, and safety standards and lessen risks associated with food and environmental concerns.
- ISO certification for food chain businesses forms the basis for effective and efficient product and service delivery.
- ISO for the food industry is exceptionally beneficial for your business as it evaluates and identifies all the risks associated with your food-generating processes and finds a solution to minimize them for your company.
- The occurrence of foodborne illnesses can be decreased thanks to ISO certification.
- Not to forget, you can boost your business’s earnings with ISO certifications.
On a conclusive note, we rely on the intake of food and drink every day. Incidentally, the number of potential problems in this particular industry is always on the rise. Hence, ISO standards are essential in the food business as they play an integral role in maintaining high food safety standards.
About IS Auditr
IS Auditr is a team of experienced ISO and Audit experts. They offer several end-to-end services, provide certifications to businesses and help them enhance their day-to-day operations. If you want to know more about ISO certification for the food industry, contact us.